Saturday, March 3, 2012

Reflections In The Dark

There's nothing quite like a power outage to remind you of our dependence on our infrastructure and all things electrical.
We just had a snowstorm, and while it wasn't particularly awful, it was wet and heavy.  I don't know what caused the outage, but it was pretty inconvenient.

My furnace and range top are both electrical ignition.  The cable was out, so no phones or Internet.
I'm glad we had candles and flashlights.  I'm also glad we didn't have sub-zero temperatures to contend with.

But, I started thinking about life without power, and I must say I found it be an unpleasant exercise.

I occasionally hear talk about our electrical grid and how it needs to be upgraded or rebuilt.  The power outage made me think more about that.  It also made me think a bit more about how electricity is produced.  We still use a lot of coal fired plants to produce electricity.

We need to find a balance between our power consumption needs and environmental concerns.  A wise man once told me "don't crap where you live".  Now that can apply to a lot of things, but in this instance we're talking about the planet.  I love me some "sci-fi", but I don't think there's a nearby planet for us to colonize if we trash this one.

As much as we might try, the environment can't be bent to our will.

No comments:

Post a Comment