Thursday, February 7, 2013

Why I Write Songs

At the most basic level, the reason is that I enjoy pairing words with melodies and music.

However a time did come where that was no longer enough.  Where the frustration of seeking the ever elusive "deal" overpowered the joy of creating.
It was a dark time and I felt like I had to walk away.  So for a long time there was no music, no creativity, and no words.

Music didn't appear to be providing any rewards, and it seemed time to put energy toward pursuits which might reciprocate the energy and effort I was putting forward.  Or at least not leave me feeling empty and disappointed.
So, I was working longer hours. And trying to make home life better for my wife and I. We eventually decided to have children.

And this was all great.  I had convinced myself that I had "retired" from music and that it was time to move on.
Then one day, my songwriting partner James showed up.  And he said to me - "do you really want to go out like this?"  "Don't you want your kids to know about your talent?"

After that conversation, I began to feel a bit of the tug to re-engage with creative pursuits.
But I told myself that this time around, I wouldn't let the business end of things get in the way.  That the pursuit of "the deal" wouldn't be the driving factor, as I had allowed it to eventually become.  I would return to basics, and create for the joy of creating.

As I began to write again, I discovered that I needed to have something to say.  Now, don't take this as some effort on my part to be "high faluting" or superior somehow to others.  But it felt to me, like the "let's party", "ooh Baby, Baby" space was pretty well covered.  And there just wasn't much motivation for me there.  This doesn't mean that I don't write songs in that orbit.

It does mean that I'll tend to write more about issues that resonate with me and that I hope will give people that listen to me something to think a bit about.  Social justice, environment, war, peace and poverty are some of the subjects that you might hear about from me.  And of course there’s always a “love song” or two which make their way into the mix.
So, this time around I believe that I’ll keep writing, as long as I feel that I have something to say.

Stay Peaceful & Positive

Leemanuel
http://www.leemanuelsmusic.com
https://jp.twitter.com/LeemanuelsMusic
https://www.facebook.com/LeemanuelsMusic?ref=hl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment